PapiMami

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

14th December

"Do you know what day is today?"

Mami shot this question to me as I entered her office, looking sweet and smiling. In an instant, my brain went into super-hyper-threading, hyper-speed processing mode. It scanned through numerous important dates and events in my life, scanning rows after rows, tables after tables of my vast life database. Birthdays, first date, first kiss, first time holding her hand...

"December......December.......December........"

*ting*

"Of course I know, my dear, it's our wedding anniversary!"

Phew...

Yup, 2 years ago, today, I took Mami as my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, for better and for worse, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honor, and cherish, until death do us part, in a 'simple' Chinese ceremony.

Frankly, I didn't know it was our anniversary today. First, I didn't know today is the 14th of December. Secondly, many things have happened for the past few days, which pretty much occupying my mind right now. Yiyi fell sick over the weekend, with high fever of 39.5 degree Celsius, and lasted for 3 days. And then there was this work on our new lawn by our contractor. They were supposed to complete the work in 2 days, ended up finishing it in 3 days. And then there were work in my office. But I think among all these, the reason I didn't think much about it was because it's actually not an important date for both of us. Mami also agrees with me about this.

Today's date was actually the day we went through the chinese ceremony. The tea ceremony, the honk-your car-horn-like-crazy-before-reaching-the-bride-house ceremony, the picking-up-the-bride ceremony, the open-door (hoi mun - Cantonese) ceremony, the angpow giving ceremony and the grand Chinese dinner (one thing about the dinner was that both of us insisted no karaoke session :). So traditionally, we were married on this date. But lawfully speaking, registration, that is, was another day. Which both of us has purposely chose to be the same date we started 'phak toh' as well. So that date is much more special to us than today.

Anyway..

Happy 2nd Anniversary, Mami! (Traditionally speaking, that is)