PapiMami

Monday, October 11, 2004

Bye Bye Superman

Superman has died.



Christopher Reeve suffered cardiac arrest and fell into a coma on Saturday. On Sunday, he was pronounced dead. He was 52.

In May 1995, he broke his neck during an equestrian competition when he was thrown from his horse. He was left almost completely paralysed and bound to a wheelchair. With help of friends and loved ones, he fought back and emerged from his tragedy and became a passionate advocate of spinal cord research, especially on behalf of fellow sufferers of spinal cord injuries. He founded the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation and began to use his show biz contacts.

In 1998 he returned to acting in Rear Window, which he won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

He was the only Superman I knew when I was a kid. I have watched Superman I - IV many many times. I have the posters, the 'daun terup', the figurines. A Superman in films, a true Superman in real life.

"I refuse to allow a disability to determine how I live my life."
Christopher Reeve
September 25, 1952 - October 10, 2004

May he rest in peace.