PapiMami

Monday, June 19, 2006

Life..

It was late morning when Mami received the SMS. We were still in bed, with Yiyi. She slept quite late the night before, thus waking up slightly late.

Mami was still on bed playing with Yiyi, so I went to pick her phone up.

3 messages. 2 from Maxis, 1 from an unknown number.

"En R (from X Dept) passed away at 6.45pm on Friday......"

"Oh my god, I think you better read this.", I said, passing the phone to Mami.

"What? What's wrong?..... Oh no..."

It was her colleague.

"It must be the football match.", She said.

"Football match?"

"Yeah, a group of my colleagues was gathering for futsal, you know, with the World Cup and all, and they were suppose to have a game or two after work on Friday."

"You sure?", I asked.

"Yeah, I remember he was raving about him playing football. How good he was and how he would show them his skill.", Mami flashing back.

"I can still remember clearly the last time I spoke to him. I was coming out of the restroom and he was standing in front of the pantry. His shirt was lifted up to his chest and he was scratching his tummy. 'What are you doing?', I shouted at him. 'Garu, gatal', he said. He had always been the joker. But he was quite fit and healthy."

A phone call to another colleague confirmed this. He was playing for about 30 minutes before taking a break. He complained he was tired. He went to his car to rest, and that's the last they saw him. A heart attack, apparently. When the rest of the guys missed him (for about 10 minutes), they went searching for him, only to find him lifeless at the seat of his car.

We spent the whole day talking about this. How life is so fragile. How one minute you are there, and then the next minute you are gone. We really feel sad for his family. Mami said, I cannot 'go' before her, because she won't be able to take it and she can't live without me.
I'll try, Mami, I'll try.

Our deepest condolences to his family.