PapiMami

Monday, February 28, 2005

Scary Scent

One night, I was walking in the kitchen, at the back of our house, when I smelt a nice and flowery scent. The hair at the back of my neck stood immediately.

Calmly I walked back to the living room. Mami was there, trying to get Yiyi to sleep in the 'buaian'.

Papi : Eh? Mami, I smelt something in the kitchen.

Mami : What? The butter cake, is it?

Papi : I am not sure. A flowery flagrance. Like 'kemenyan'.

Mami : *gulp* Aiya, you ah, don't scared me lar.

Papi : Come, come, we check it out.

Mami : Don't want lar, scare lar.

We put Yiyi to sleep first. Then ...

Papi : Eh? Mami, come lar, see where it's coming from. (I was trying to get her to help me, because she has a more sensitive sense of smell)

Mami : Don't want lar, I scare lar. You go lar.

Papi : Come lar. Don't worry, I am around mah. (ahem... a hero like that)

Mami : *reluctantly* OK lar, OK lar...eeee....yer...

At the kitchen...

Papi : See...got or not *sniff sniff*

Mami : No. *sniff sniff sniff*

Papi : How about here *sniff sniff* Ah! here here...

Mami : *sniff sniff* Ya hor.

We were searching and searching but couldn't make out the source of the scent: the washing machine powder, the floor liquid cleaner, the softener.

Then I looked into the dustbin. A soap paper wrapper was in there. Immediately I picked it up, brought it close to my nose, and immediately I recognised the scent. It was the soap wrapper. Aiya! Give Mami a scared only lar.